American Red Cross - Lifeguard Training Course 15+
If you’re thinking about a great summer job, think about becoming a lifeguard! Those interested in being a lifeguard MUST complete a lifeguard certification course that teaches many skills that will last a lifetime. This course provides entry-level participants the knowledge and skill to prevent, recognize and respond to aquatic emergencies and to provide care for breathing and cardiac emergencies, injuries and sudden illnesses until EMS personnel take over. Price includes books, CPR mask, Lifeguard certification card and CPR/AED & Basic First Aid certification card (if student successfully passes the course). Participants must attend ALL scheduled classes.
- Must be 15 years of age or older and attend all sessions.
- Swim 300 yards continuously using the breaststroke or front crawl.
- Tread water for 2 minutes.
- Swim 20 yards from the wall, retrieve a 10 lb. brick at a depth of 10 feet and return to the wall in 1:40 seconds. (Participants must complete this portion before moving on to the next part, 3 tries to complete.)
- Score 80% or better on a written exam, pass a technical performance and simulation practical exam.
American Red Cross – Water Safety Instructor Certification 16+
During the swim and water safety certification training course, you will learn how to help adults and children enjoy their time in the water safely, and in a wide range of ways. Throughout the course, we'll focus on a number of key areas that can help you succeed as aquatics instructor, such as, water safety at public pools, homes, natural bodies of water, emergency response protocols, hydrodynamics, including why some things float, resistance to movement and creating movement in water, swimming efficiency and laws of levers, basic aquatic skills, like floating, changing direction, and turning over, swimming stroke mechanics, starts, turns and diving, helping people with disabilities and other health conditions enjoy the water safely, aquatic fitness and training for people of any age. This class is approximately 36 hours and Participants must attend ALL scheduled classes.
- Water Safety instructor candidates must be at least 16 years old on or before the last scheduled day of the Water Safety Instructor course.
- Swim the following strokes consistent with the stroke performance charts, Level 4
- Front Crawl: 25 yards
- Back Crawl: 25 yards
- Breaststroke: 25 yards
- Elementary Backstroke: 25 yards
- Sidestroke: 25 yards
- Butterfly: 15 yards
- Maintain Position on back for 1 minute in deep water (floating or sculling)
- Tread Water for 1 minute
Please check back in Fall 2018 for future class schedule.
|Recreation Office - 3075 N Litchfield Rd, Goodyear, AZ 85395
Hours: Monday – Friday, 8:30am - 5:00pm
Phone : 623-882-7525