Tips to Keep Your Home & Car Safe & Secure
One out of ten homes will be burglarized this year. For a small amount of time and money, you can make your home more secure and reduce your chances of being a victim. You know your neighborhood best – call and report any suspicious activity to the Police Department right away, at 623-932-1220.
Check the Locks
- Lock your doors and windows.
- Make sure every external door has a sturdy, well installed lock.
- Sliding glass doors can offer easy access if they are not properly secured. Purchase extra locks for these doors at most hardware stores.
- Instead of hiding extra keys around the outside of the house, give an extra to key to someone you can trust.
- When you move to a new home, re-key all the locks.
Check the Doors
- All outside doors should be metal or solid wood.
- Get a metal security door, also with a strong lock.
- Make sure your door fits the frame – a loose fit makes it easy to open.
- Install a peephole in all entry doors to be able to see who is outside. DO NOT open your door for strangers.
Check the Outside
- Thieves hate bright lights. Install outside lights and keep them on at night. Motion lights work well too.
- Keep your yard clean. Prune back shrubbery so it does not hide doors or windows. Thieves can hide there while breaking into a window or door.
- Clearly display your house number so Police and other Emergency Services can find your home quickly.
- If you travel, create the illusion that you are home by using timers which will turn on and off lights in different areas of the house during the evening.
- Don’ let mail or newspapers pile up. Stop mail service when you are away, and pick up newspapers so your home does not become a target.
- Lock outside gates to backyards or courtyards
Check your Vehicle
- If you have a garage, use it. Your vehicle is safer inside.
- Find a deterrent for your vehicle, such as “the club” or an alarm. This will not be a guarantee, but it may make the burglar move on to another vehicle.
- Do not leave valuables or garage door opener inside your vehicle. This is an invitation to get broken into.