The Explorer program, also known as Explorer Scouting, is a young adult program of the Boy Scouts of America for men and women age fourteen through twenty years. The Explorer Scout Program provides the means and opportunity for the participants to build desirable qualities, as well as gain experience and insight into police work and the Goodyear Police Department.
The goal of the Explorer program is to provide a strong Community Based Policing program for the youth in the City of Goodyear. Explorers will be provided with a variety of law enforcement training, community service opportunities, leadership training and Explorers are encouraged to participate in personal fitness and other social/recreational activities. Explorers work under direct supervision in the Community Services Unit.
All Explorers must maintain a minimum grade point average of 2.0 (C grade) for all courses taken. Explorers that have graduated high school will be encouraged to continue their education with college courses. High school age students shall continue to be enrolled in high school until they graduate. In addition to grades, Explorers must maintain good moral character and demonstrate a willingness to serve and participate in activities.
Law Enforcement Career Exploring will provide you fun and exciting “hands-on” career experiences by combining classroom training, ride-a-longs in police vehicles, college preparation and discussion, participation within the Goodyear community, team building opportunities, shooting at the range and much more.
You will develop:
- Self confidence & Leadership Skills
- Strong work ethic & commitment
- Respect for police officers, explorers & law enforcement profession
- New personal & professional skills
- Marksmanship & gun safety skills
- General Law Enforcement based knowledge & skills
You will have an opportunity to participate in:
- Regularly scheduled training
- National Events & Competitions
- Community Service projects & events
- Physical Fitness & social/recreational activities
If you are interested in becoming an Explorer at the Goodyear Police Department and meet the minimum qualifications:
- Print the application CLICK HERE TO DOWNLOAD
- Applicant must fill out (not parent, friend, sibling, etc)
- Ensure the application is complete with explanations, dates, contact information, etc.
- Return the application to Officer Benker at the Goodyear Police Department by mail, drop off at the front lobby window or scan/email – Address: : 11 N. 145th Ave. Goodyear, AZ 85338 ATTN: Officer Benker
If you have any questions regarding the Explorer Program, please contact Officer Benker at JBenker@goodyearaz.gov or Officer Scheckel at firstname.lastname@example.org