The school resource officers are led by Sgt. Eric Webster and maintain an open and honest relationship with students. Our goal is to promote a positive image of law enforcement, knowing that the students of today are our future officers of tomorrow. Working with schools, youth and the community allows us to keep our children safe and focused on school so they can make positive choices in their lives, helping them to achieve their future goals.
The Goodyear Police Department has three school resource officers in the Unit. Each officers is assigned to one of three high schools in the City of Goodyear:
Officer Michael McFadden - Estrella Foothills High School
Officer Nick Roberts - Millennium High School
Officer Ryan Konings - Desert Edge High School
Our school resource officers take an interactive approach when dealing with students at their schools. These officers are critical in often preventing crime from occurring on campus due to their presence. They not only investigate crimes on campus but many times they participate in various school related activities such as:
- Patrol campuses and surrounding neighborhoods
- Selective traffic enforcement when needed
- Act as liaison between the community, school administration and police department
- Perform classroom presentations on youth alcohol, traffic safety,drug prevention and distracted driving
- Attend career day and speak to students about careers in law enforcement
- Coordinate and implement secure campus practices to include active shooter drills
- Work with our Criminal Investigations Division when investigating crimes
- Coordinate and teach our annual Teen Academy during the schools’ summer break
- Assist with our Police Explorer Program
- Work police security after hours at sports events, school dances and graduation ceremonies
Each officer also provides assistance to the elementary and middle schools in their area.
High school students may also want to check out the Teen Police Academy Training for students 14 to 18 years old.
School-Based Police Substations
Goodyear Police Department in collaboration with our local school districts have established three Police Substations for area officers to visit and/or work from. The schools have designated an office for officers to conduct meetings, complete paperwork, make phone calls and complete several other work related tasks.
They are located at: Mabel Padgett Elementary, Centerra Mirage Elementary and Westar Elementary.