COVID-19: How to properly and safely put on a remove a mask
Wearing a face mask in public right now is a good idea, but it's also important to know how to properly put on and remove a mask in order to stay safe and healthy.
Here are the proper steps to follow when applying a mask, courtesy of the Goodyear Fire Department:
1. Wash your hands with soap and water for at least 20 seconds (here's a handy hand-washing guide), or thoroughly clean them with hand sanitizer if soap and water are not available.
2. The colored part of the mask should always go away from your face, with the white portion facing inward. The portion of the mask with the moldable bar should go around your nose.
3. Place one of the mask loops around one ear, making sure to hold the mask away from your face. Then, pull the mask across your face and place the other mask loop around your other ear.
4. Form the top bar of the mask around your nose to create a quality seal, and pull the bottom of the mask over your chin. This will ensure maximum protection for your nose and mouth.
5. Wash your hands with soap and water or hand sanitizer after securing the mask to your face.
In order to remove a mask:
1. Wash your hands with soap and water or hand sanitizer.
2. Use one hand to remove one of the mask loops around an ear, pull the mask forward so it's no longer touching your face, and then remove the loop from the other ear.
3. Wash your hands with soap and water or hand sanitizer one more time.
Follow these tips each time you use a face mask in order to maximize its use and stay safe and healthy!