Civil or Minor Criminal Traffic Violations

Press Enter to show all options, press Tab go to next option

What to do if you receive a traffic ticket for a civil or minor criminal traffic violation

The traffic complaint you received includes a court date and time located at the bottom of the ticket, (above your signature) this is referred to as your Arraignment. By your Arraignment date you will need to decide how you want to plead to your violation(s). The following are possible pleas you may enter per violation:

  • Responsible/Guilty - This plea means that you committed the violation stated on the complaint. The word "responsible" is used with civil traffic violations, while the word "guilty" is used with criminal violations.
  • Admit and Explain/No Contest - This plea means that you do not wish to contest the charge(s) against you. You are allowing a Hearing Officer or Judge to enter a ruling of responsible/guilty against you without you admitting your responsibility/guilt.
  • Not Responsible/Not Guilty - This plea means that you deny that you committed the violation stated on the complaint and that the State must prove its charges against you at a trial or hearing. If you received a complaint with more than one charge, you will need to enter a plea for each charge. You are not required to enter the same plea for all charges.
  • You may also have the option of attending a Defensive Driving Class and receiving a dismissal of one civil traffic moving violation. See "Defensive Driving School" for details.

 Options once you have decided upon your plea:

  • If your plea is "Responsible/Guilty" or "Admit and Explain/No Contest," you may pay the amount of the fine by mail or in person on or before your court date, or appear in court on your assigned court date to see a Hearing Officer or Judge and enter your plea.
  • If your plea is "Not Responsible/Not Guilty" you may request, by mail or FAX, that the charge/charges be set for a hearing/trial.
  • If you select the Driving School option please see "Defensive Driving School" for enrollment information and additional details.  Upon your completion of the class the school will notify the court and the Court will dismiss one civil moving violation. 
  • If your traffic charge is marked as a criminal violation, you are entitled to a trial. If your traffic charge is marked as a civil violation, you are entitled to a hearing. Your trial or hearing will be scheduled about four weeks from your first court date.
  • You may be represented by an attorney or you may present your own case at your trial or hearing. If you decide to have an attorney represent you, you must notify the court, in writing, at least 10 days prior to your hearing. You cannot be represented by someone who is not an attorney.

Please Note:  from the date you receive your violation, it can take up to 8-10 working days for the citation to be filed with the court by the Police Department and entered into our system.  Once it is filed and in our system, you may then choose one of the plea options.

Please call the court at (623) 882-7200 to confirm that the Police Department has filed your citation with our court prior to faxing or mailing your Plea by Mail form.  The Plea by mail form may only be used for Civil charge NOT for Criminal charges.                                                                                                                                         


If you mail in your plea and payment it is your responsibility to follow up with the Court to ensure that the payment or correspondence sent was received by the Court and that all charges have been resolved on or before the arraignment date.

What happens at a minor criminal traffic trial?

  • The State is represented by a Prosecutor who must prove the charges against you, as stated on the complaint, beyond a reasonable doubt. The State presents its case first by calling witnesses to testify against you. You will be allowed to hear all the testimony against you and, if you wish, after each witness has testified, you will have a turn to ask questions of the witness.
  • After the State has presented its case, you may present your case. You may call other witnesses to testify for you who know something about the incident. You may testify on your own behalf, but you are not required to do so. If you do not testify, your silence cannot be used against you.

What happens at a hearing?

  • Hearings are similar to trials, but no Prosecutor is present to represent the state. Instead a Hearing Officer or Judge will question you, the Police Officer and other witnesses to find out what happened.
  • To find you responsible, the Hearing Officer or Judge must listen to the facts presented at your hearing and decide whether it is more probable than not that you committed the traffic violations alleged on your complaint.
  • In a civil traffic hearing, the burden of proof required for a Hearing Officer or Judge to make a finding of responsible is less than at a criminal trial.
  • The Hearing Officer's or Judge's ruling will be based upon the testimony and facts presented at your trial or hearing.


If you are found "Responsible/Guilty," the Hearing Officer or Judge will state your penalty. This penalty may be different from the amount listed on the Fine Schedule given to you by the Police Officer.


Free viewers are required for some of the attached documents.
They can be downloaded by clicking on the icons below.

Acrobat Reader Download Acrobat Reader Flash Player Download Flash Player Windows Media Player Download Windows Media Player Microsoft Silverlight Download Microsoft Silverlight Word Viewer Download Word Viewer Excel Viewer Download Excel Viewer PowerPoint Viewer Download PowerPoint Viewer