On January of 2013, Goodyear contracted with Plan*et Communities, PLLC to develop a comprehensive Parks, Recreation, Trails and Open Space Master Plan. The plan was developed through a highly interactive process involving public forums, stakeholder meetings, surveys, site evaluations, benchmarks to like communities and meetings with the Parks and Recreation Advisory Commission as well as the General Plan Committee. The Parks, Trails and Open Space Master Plan was adopted by City Council in July of 2014.
Purpose of the Master Plan
The purpose of the Parks, Recreation, Trails and Open Space Master Plan is to offer strategies and operational policies that provide guidance in order to meet the needs of current and future City of Goodyear residents.
A consistent theme throughout the development of this plan has been the City’s commitment to a quality parks and recreation system that delivers high-quality parks, trails and recreation programs, facilities and events for all residents while contributing to the economic well-being of the City.
To meet this commitment to its residents, this plan is organized around the following themes:
• Providing high-quality parks and recreational facilities
• Trails that connect the community and connect the community to open space
• Promoting community health through recreation programs
• Fee philosophy
• Sustainable maintenance practices
• Administration “right-sized” for now and the future
• Partnerships and options for funding