The City of Goodyear offers a variety of youth sports leagues throughout the school year for children 4 to 15 years of age. Our programs are designed to educate youth about the sport, while emphasizing development in teamwork, participation, and sportsmanship. Players learn skills and lessons that help them succeed both on and off the field/court. We offer several youth sports leagues to choose from throughout the school year including:
- Volleyball for children ages 7 to 15 years
- Flag Football for children ages 5 to 12 years
- Baseball for children ages 4 to 12 years
We Need Volunteer Coaches!
All of our youth sports leagues require volunteer coaches. We provide coaches training and documentation to assist new coaches with the prospect of coaching youth sports for the first time. The time commitment ranges from 7 to 12 weeks with approximately 4-5 hours per week (two 1-hour practices a week, and a 1-2 hour game on Saturdays). Coaches are to assist in providing young players a fun and exciting opportunity to engage in non-contact, continuous action while developing the skills necessary to become successful players.
Incentives for Coaching
- A credit will be applied to the account to be used towards a future program at the end of the season for the Head Coach only. Credit is valid for one calendar year from the date of issue and will expire at that time if not used. Coaching credits have no cash value.
- Opportunity to request up to three players on your team, not including your own child
- Informational materials, coaches clinics, and/or coach’s orientation/season kickoff
- Coach’s polo
- Ability to pick practice time (based on age and space availability)
- Obtain volunteer hours
- Participation in Volunteer Appreciation Celebration (annually)
Volunteer Application Process
The volunteer application process is a 3-step sequential process:
- Application - All coaches must submit a Youth Volunteer Coach Application. An application is required for every coach prior to the coaches meeting.
- Background Check – Upon submission of the application, Human Resources will email the background screening information, which will be processed through ESR.
- Fingerprint Clearance – All coaches must pass the Level 1 DPS Finger Print Clearance Requirement by either submitting a Valid Level 1 DPS Fingerprint Clearance Card or complete finger printing in the Recreation Office.
- Fingerprinting can be completed Monday - Friday from 8:30 am - 5:00 pm at the Recreation office located at 3075 N. Litchfield Road.
- Applicant must be 18 years of age
- Coaches are expected attend the coaches meeting prior to the start of each season and are responsible for contacting their teams after the meeting
- Coaches are required to host a parent meeting at their first practice
- Ability to deal professionally and tactfully with players, their parents, other coaches, officials, spectators, and recreation staff
Essential Coaching Functions:
- Develop and implement meaningful and instructive practice plans.
- Teach participants the importance of sportsmanship and teamwork.
- Teach participants the rules and regulations of the sport and program.
|Recreation Office 3075 N Litchfield Rd, Goodyear, AZ 85395
Hours: Monday – Friday, 8:30 am - 5:00 pm
Phone : 623-882-7525