Due to an executive order issued by Governor Doug Ducey, a statewide curfew goes into effect on May 31 - June 8 from 8 p.m-5 a.m each day. Click HERE to more.

Sewer Appeal Q & A

Press Enter to show all options, press Tab go to next option


High Water Consumption Analysis

If you believe that your water consumption has increased without explanation, visit our High Water Consumption page.  It will explain how you can first perform a self check of your water usage, and how to remedy any issues you find.  If that process does not identify the reason for your increased usage, options are available to involve the Public Works Department in further analysis.


Water Meter Test

Customers can request that their water meter be tested, though it is rare for a water meter to over record water usage.  It is much more likely that an older meter will slow down and under record usage if it has been in service for an extended period of time.

You will be charged for all meter testing costs.  If the meter proves to be faster than the acceptable limits set forth by the American Water Works Association (AWWA), the customer's water bill for the current period will be adjusted on the consumer's next water bill by the Finance Department in an amount that reflects the difference in pricing and the testing fee.  If the meter proves to be within, or slower than the acceptable limits set forth by AWWA, the testing fee will be retained as revenue for the Public Works Department."

Therefore, we recommend that you request a meter test ONLY AFTER a High Consumption Analysis has been performed.  If you are interested in having your meter tested, you may do so by submitting the online Request for Meter Test form.  Or, to request a paper form by mail or fax, please contact the Public Works Department at 623-932-3010 or send your request via email.


Sewer Appeal

The City of Goodyear offers a Sewer Appeal Form (link active from June 1 to August 31 ONLY) to customers who indicate their sewer average is not accurate.  The Winter Quarter Average (WQA) for sewer is calculated on the average water consumption during the winter months billed in January, February, and March.

Each May, your sewer bill is adjusted based on the low winter quarter average (WQA).  The WQA is the maximum gallons of sewage you will be charged every month from May through April of the next calendar year. If any month's water consumption is lower than your WQA, your sewer usage will be based on your actual water consumption.  However, if your monthly water consumption is higher that your WQA, your sewer usage will be based on the lesser WQA volume.

Goodyear bases its estimate of your household's monthly sewer usage upon your household's average monthly water consumption during the winter- typically the three lowest water usage months of the year.  Because they are the months when you would be watering your landscaping the least, almost all of the water would be used inside and go into the sewer system.  The average monthly water usage billed during January, February and March becomes your Winter Quarter Average (WQA).  Please see the dates listed below for your WQA time period.

Your next WQA will be determined using your water consumption for following time periods (please refer to your billing statement to find what cycle you are in.  You can find the cycle number in the top right corner of your bill):

Cycle 2 – December 2, 2019 to March 2, 2020

Cycle 3 – December 9, 2019 to March 9, 2020

Cycle 4 – December 16, 2019 to March 16, 2020

Cycle 5 – December 23, 2019 to March 23, 2020

Please Note:

The on-line form must be submitted no later than 90 days after the end of the billing period in dispute (May 30). Disputed audits may be evaluated based on supporting documentation and verified information and a decision e-mailed to the customer.  Appeals may ONLY be submitted between June 1 and August 31.

Leaks: Actual receipts are required for all leak claims.  Requests submitted without receipts will be denied. 

Pool Fill or Repairs: Documentation and proof of gallons needed to fill pool must be attached to request. Requests submitted without documentation will be denied.  You must obtain a Pool Draining Permit from the Environmental Quality Department (623) 932-3010. 

Documents and receipts can be sent to